If you were the type who wants to go hardcore in everything he does, then you most certainly would not mind cooking your own food during trips. Before you foodies protest and throw tomatoes our way, hear this first: We know of ways on how you can cook your own food yet not miss out on the local cuisine of your destination. In fact, true foodies should already have had a light bulb moment. Here are some tips!
- Book an accommodation that has provisions for cooking. In the first place, you would not be able to cook your own food without a stove, a faucet and other cooking utensils. There are a lot of local accommodations that have common kitchen areas that can be used by all their guests. If you’re staying in the city, look for condominium units that are rented out on a per-night basis.
- Locate the market. You won’t find your ingredients in 7-Eleven! Ask around about where the local market is as soon as you check in your hotel or inn. Check out the products available and create your menu based on the ingredients that you find there. Aside from buying ingredients, you will also be able to learn a lot by just conversing with market vendors and observing people in their daily walks.
- Taste the local food and try to replicate it. Don’t wait for you to get home before you try cooking that local dish that you tried! Get a local who can teach you how to cook the dish to perfection, using ingredients that make for an authentic and delicious dish.
- Cook your favorite meal from home. For travelers who stay for a long time in a foreign land, mom’s spaghetti provides the warmth and comfort that they miss back home. It helps in adjusting to a new culture, and is a healthy homey habit for those whose feet are always walking around the world.
- When all else fails, go instant. Being open to the idea of cooking your own meals during a travel will help you cope with different situations, such as late night cravings (which is a very valid reason to cook, by the way). You’ll never know when you’re going to need cup noodles and boiled water! If you are the type of traveler who books budget airlines such as Zest Air and Cebu Pacific, then you will most probably like the idea of saving on a few meals so you can splurge on the best meal you can ever have in your area of destination.